Golf & Grounds Search
Golf Course & Grounds Superintendent Search
Chester Valley Golf Club is seeking a strong operational leader that is innovative, high energy, team-oriented with a passion for consistently providing exceptional golfing conditions and club facilities. The Superintendent is an integral member of the club’s management team and oversees the maintenance and agronomic practices of the golf course and adjacent grounds, including the clubhouse landscaping and maintenance. The Superintendent will have experience with and an understanding of great clubs and classic golf course architecture, along with strong agronomic, organizational and leadership skills. Chester Valley Golf Club has had two Superintendents in the last 30 years.
The Golf Course & Grounds Superintendent is responsible for all duties necessary to support and improve the golf course operations, turf grass maintenance, and grounds of the club. They are responsible for managing all agronomic aspects of Chester Valley Golf Club and delivering excellent playing conditions on a daily and annual basis. The Golf Course & Grounds Superintendent is expected to provide proactive and inspired leadership with the golf course conditions and provide clear short and long term plans to ensure high quality playing conditions. The Golf Course & Grounds Superintendent must inspire confidence with members and staff, have a love of the game of golf, and have a relentless attention to detail. They are expected to provide engaged leadership with the Department’s staff as well as with fellow Directors.
The successful candidate will have demonstrated leadership, collaboration, innovation, professional growth, financial acumen, mentoring and team building, standards of excellence, work ethic, humility, optimism, and integrity. Chester Valley Golf Club is governed by the Board of Governors and operates under the Chief Operating Officer and General Manager Concept. The Golf Course & Grounds Superintendent reports directly to the General Manager and liaises with the Green Committee. Chester Valley Golf Club is a 501(c)7 non-profit organization.
- The ideal candidate will be a Golf Course & Grounds Superintendent with prior experience at clubs known for providing exceptional golfing conditions.
- Proven history of providing exceptional golfing conditions and managing all aspects of the golf course and landscape at the highest level.
- Strong agronomic skills and stays current with advances in turf technology and equipment.
- Practices talent deployment, labor tracking and reporting, and adjusts practices to match course conditions and staffing needs.
- Proven success in developing Superintendents, Assistants, Mechanics, and mentoring team.
- Implements staff practices that create a thriving and attractive staff environment including flex schedules if needed, creative work weeks, and community/trade outreach to attract the very best individuals for the club.
- Solid irrigation management philosophy and practices
- Develops and communicates the planting, seed, chemical, and fertilizing plan on an annual basis.
- Experience in tree management and shade mitigation to improve the turf growing environment.
- Understands the unique arid climate conditions of the region.
- Experienced with minimizing winter damage from ice along with recovery techniques.
- Strong maintenance calendar, planning, and budget forecasting skills.
- Learns, understands, and respects the club culture.
- Oversee the repair and maintenance of all golf course related equipment.
- Inspires confidence with membership and staff through strong leadership skills.
- Friendly and personable with membership while remaining firm and ensuring that the golf course condition is the top priority.
- Confident in guiding the vision, planning, and overall direction of the golf course.
- Subscribes and implements to sustainable maintenance practices.
- Highly driven and has pride in his/her work.
- A history of excellent relations with their Golf Professional and COO/General Manager.
- Experience developing standard operating procedures and training programs.
- Excellent member communication skills including player communications, social media, website, and beyond.
- Strong observational skills and detail oriented.
- High standards of facility cleanliness, organization, and pride of facility.
- Service leader.
- Lifelong learner with a high curiosity quotient in pursuit of growing themselves, staff, and greater club team.
EDUCATIONAL AND CERTIFICATION QUALIFICATIONS
College graduate. A degree in Agronomy, Turf grass Science, or Horticulture from an accredited college or university. GCSAA Certification or similar professional development achievements are desired.
SALARY & BENEFITS
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. The club, along with the typical GCSAA benefits, offers an excellent performance bonus and benefit package.
ABOUT CHESTER VALLEY GOLF CLUB
Chester Valley Golf Club is a by invitation only membership that is fast approaching its 100th anniversary. The golf course is a designated Audubon International Certified Cooperative Sanctuary and is one of the region’s premier courses. The course has a reputation for being the toughest test for the PGA Tour Champions for 12 years. The club prides itself on having a very fun, active, engaged, and family-friendly membership with plenty of activities for everyone.
CHESTER VALLEY GOLF CLUB BY THE NUMBERS:
- 390 Total Memberships (142 New Memberships since September 2020, Av Age = 41)
- 51 Average Age of Membership
- $1.2M Annual Course Operating Budget
- 22,000 rounds of golf in 2020; 44% rounds increase YTD 2021
- 70 par, 6,621 yards, 137 slope
- Bentgrass Greens
- Original Architect at existing 1928 property – Perry Maxwell with references to Donald J. Ross in club archives; Extensive Renovation, 1969 – George Fazio
- Current Architect Partner: Jim Nagle, Forse Designs
- Golf Course Master Golf Plan updated 2019
- Designated Audubon International Certified Cooperative Sanctuary, preserving wildlife habitat, protecting water quality, and improving the environment overall.
- Irrigation source - surface and well water
- Projects under consideration including irrigation (2024), 15 Acre Short Course & Practice Facility (planning in development), Bunker reconstruction, Maintenance Building relocation, Cart Barn Relocation, Cart paths, and various fairway, stream, bridge, and green/tee expansion or improvement projects.
MISSION, VISION, AND VALUES
Mission: Chester Valley Golf Club is a family-oriented, private country club serving an engaged membership community committed to providing everything at exceptional levels that create life-long memories and friendships in golf, recreation and social activities.”
Team’s vision statement: Twenty Twenty-one is the year of Service, Fun, and Inclusion
Team’s values: Teamwork, Leadership, Support, Reliability, Respect, and Growth
HOW TO APPLY
Please upload your resume, cover letter, and references using the portal. You should have your documents fully prepared when prompted for them during the online application process.
Prepare a thoughtful one-page cover letter addressed to Chester Valley Golf Club search committee/Christa Evans, COO/GM. Clearly explain your alignment with this role, why you want to be considered at this stage of your career, your vision for making a difference, and why CVGC and the Malvern area will be beneficial to you, your family, your career, and the Club if selected.
Candidates are required to submit a listing of 6 references: two (2) Professionals that you worked for, two (2) Professionals that you mentored (worked for you), and two (2) Personal or Nonprofit Service references.
Candidates must apply for this role no later than July 19, 2021. Candidate selections will occur late July/early August 2021 with first Interviews expected August 9th, 2021, and second interviews a short time later. The new candidate should assume his/her role in September/October depending on departing club needs and CVGC agreement.
Your resume, cover letter, and references need to be submitted/saved with your Last Name, First Name, document type, and be in Word or PDF format.
Questions should be directed to [email protected]. Resume, Cover Letters, and References will be accepted ONLY through the document upload on the link below, not via this email.
6/26/21 Cover Letters, Resumes, and References accepted. Applicants that complete the cover letter, resume and reference upload will receive questionnaire via email.
7/19/21 Application & Questionnaire Deadline. All applicants are required to submit online their Cover Letter, Resume, and References as well as fill out the candidate questionnaire online.
8/4/21 Applicants accepted for interview deadline to submit Professional Portfolios.